Given with the Golden Kite Awards, the Sid Fleischman Humor Award is an award for authors whose work exemplifies the excellence of writing in the genre of humor. The SCBWI established the award to honor humorous work, so often overlooked in children’s literature by other award committees. SCBWI reserves the right not to confer this award in any given year.
The inaugural recipient of the SCBWI Humor Award, Fleischman was honored for his extensive body of work at the 32nd Annual SCBWI Conference in Los Angeles, in August 2003. SCBWI President Stephen Mooser joined Executive Director Lin Oliver in presenting the award. “Sid the Magician may not be as famous as Sid the Writer. It’s one thing to make someone laugh. But his ability to do that in so many stories with such poignancy is nothing short of magic,” said Mooser. “I couldn’t think of anyone more deserving of this prestigious award and honor.”
Fleischman has written over 35 books for children, including the classic McBroom series, Jim Ugly, Humbug Mountain, The Midnight Horse, By the Great Horn Spoon!, and his autobiography, The Abracadabra Kid, about his early career as a young magician. He was awarded the Newbery Medal in 1987 for The Whipping Boy. In addition to this illustrious turn in children’s literature, Fleischman has also written motion pictures that featured such talents as John Wayne, Kirk Douglas, and Lauren Bacall.
1. Entrants must be members of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators.
2. Every book written by an SCBWI member (fiction, nonfiction, picture book) is eligible for consideration during the year of original publication. This award is for writers only.
3. Books submitted to the Golden Kite Award competition will NOT automatically be considered for the Sid Fleischman Humor Award. All Sid Fleischman Humor Award books should be sent as separate submissions. Please send 2 copies of your book to the address below:
Golden Kite Coordinator
SCBWI Sid Fleischman Humor Award
4727 WIlshire Blvd. Suite 301
Los Angeles, CA 90010
All submissions for the award must be RECEIVED no later than December 1, 2016.
The Sid Fleischman Humor Award nominees will be given to separate panel of judges for further consideration. The winner of the Sid Fleischman Humor Award will be selected, and the author and his/her publishing house notified, in April, 2017.
The Sid Fleischman Humor Award is an award for authors whose work exemplifies superlative writing in the genre of humor. The SCBWI established the award to honor humorous work, so often overlooked in children’s literature by other award committees. This award is open to writers only.
Please note: books nominated for the Sid Fleischman Humor Award are still eligible to receive the Golden Kite Award but must additionally be submitted for that award as per the guidelines.
4. The nominated books will then be considered by a new, specially designated panel of judges, consisting of author SCBWI members who work in the humor genre.
5. The winner will be notified by April 30, 2017.
Submission Guidelines for PUBLISHERS
Submission Guidelines for INDIVIDUALS
Questions? Golden Kite Coordinator: email@example.com