New Writer Awards: Fiction & Nonfiction
Over the course of our Reprint Award, our staff worked with some of the most talented, established writers and presses in the industry, and while that was one of the best experiences in our time as editors, it made us eager to return to our roots. Working with name brand talents is exciting, but discovering new, unheralded voices is a bit like nicotine to editors: We’re genetically predisposed to wanting more, and quitting gives us night terrors.
From its advent, the mission of Sequestrum has been to feature new and emerging writers alongside literary heavyweights. With our New Writer Awards, hundreds in cash prizes and publication in a future issue of Sequestrum will be awarded to up-and-coming writers of fiction and nonfiction.
New Writer Awards Details:
- Open only to writers who have not yet published a book-length manuscript.
- One first-prize winner will receive $200, plus publication in our Spring ’16 issue.
- Runner up prize(s) of $25-$50 cash, plus publication.
- One submission up to 12,000 word per $15 entry fee, or two short pieces of 1,000 words or less.
- Up to three poems per entry. $15 entry fee. 40 lines per poem
- Submissions read and reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Contest doors close October 15, 2015.
- Winners announced in January. Publication in our Spring ’16 Issue.
- We will only consider submissions through our online submission system.
- Entries must not have been previously published in any format.
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed.
- Multiple entries are allowed, following the guidelines above.
- Include a brief 3rd person bio in your cover letter to be used as a contributor bio in the event of publication.
- Do not include any identifying information on your manuscript. This should be in your cover letter.
Click here to submit, and best of luck.