The Sweet Sixteens have a list of sixteen writer resolutions. Here are ten:
1. When asked what I do for a living, I will unapologetically list “writer” first.
2. I will learn to plan more than ten pages ahead when I work on a new novel. Maybe five. Two, at least.
3. I will find a way to look forward to writing a synopsis with zesty eagerness, because synopses are actually *fun* and *easy*!
4. I will write every. single. day. (Facebook doesn’t count.)
5. I will totally dominate every single social media platform I have been told is essential to my writing success, including but not limited to: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, Instagram, Snap and BuyMyFreakingBook.com
6. I will limit time spent online to 16 minutes. Per hour.
8. I will keep a notepad beside my bed to write down any and all new book ideas, snippets of dialogue, character names, etc. instead of thinking I’ll remember them in the morning.
9. Definitely the 1958 Battle of Santa Clara, a decisive victory by the Cuban revolutionaries against General Batista. It may seem like an obvious choice, but to be fair, the possible list of New Years Revolutions is rather short. Oh wait. Resolutions? With an ‘s’?
10. This year I will never, ever lose sleep as I wonder whether my editor somehow interpreted my last email as pushy or argumentative when all I really wanted to know was if I could please just keep that last line.
Do you have a YA or MG debut book coming out in 2016 published with a traditional publisher? Then you should check out the Sweet Sixteens info on joining their group.