FlashLight Press is celebrating their 10 year in the publishing business. They are a small publisher and only publish a few books each year, but they specialize in picture books. Check out their awards pages. I was impressed with what they have accomplished. You may even recognize some of the artwork on their covers, since many of their illustrators have been featured on Illustrator Saturday. Click on the illustration that shows off some of the character in their books to look over their book catalog.
If you have a story you want FLASHLIGHT PRESS to consider:
First, make sure your manuscript fits the following criteria:
- is a fiction picture book (NOT a concept book, non-
fiction, an early reader, a chapter book, or a YA novel)
- has a universal theme (but no holiday themes, and no
talking inanimate objects)
- deals with family or social situations
- targets 4-8 year olds
- is between 500-1,000 words
- feels like a Flashlight book (Please read about our
books to determine whether your story really feels like a
If your manuscript meets their criteria:
- send a query email describing your story (plot, word
count, target audience, what makes this story unique) and
a bit about yourself, to Shari Dash Greenspan at
- do not send snail mail queries. We disregard and
recycle all snail mail submissions.
- do not send attachments (instead, type your query
into the body of the email.)
- do not send your full manuscript (neither attached nor
pasted into the email).
- you will receive an automated reply within a week or so
that we received your email query.
- if we wish to see your full manuscript, we’ll let you know
by email within a month or so. If you do not receive an
email requesting your full manuscript, please realize that
your story was not considered a fit for our line.
Manuscripts, when requested, will be evaluated within three to
Important tip: unless you are also an artist, do not include
illustrations with a requested manuscript.
If you create artwork that you want them to consider:
- Explore our site to be sure that your style could be a fit.
- Please do not send any samples by snail mail – we are going
paperless and will recycle all paper samples we receive.
- Do not send attachments. Instead, please paste a few sample
jpegs into an email. Then we don’t have to open any files and
can easily view your artwork.
- Do include links to your online portfolio in your email.
- Send the email to artsubmissions@FlashlightPress.com.
- We‘ll keep your information on file for future reference, and will
be in touch if we have any projects to offer.
Make this the year you revise and submit. Gook Luck!