NO FEE WRITING CONTEST: PRIZE: $5,000.00.
Black Balloon Publishing will accept submissions for the 2014 annual Horatio Nelson Fiction Prize between October 1st and October 31st, 2014. The winning author receives $5,000 and a Black Balloon book deal.* There is no reading fee.
Black Balloon Publishing invites entries of finished, unpublished and original fiction manuscripts of over 50K words to The Horatio Nelson Fiction Prize. The winning author receives a $5,000 cash prize and a book publishing deal with the company.Submit only unpublished fiction manuscripts (50,000 words and up) written in English. Short stories, previously published as collections, are still eligible. The initial entry process requires you to submit a partial manuscript of under 4,000 words.Black Balloon Publishing is a well-known author-friendly indie press based in New York, NY. The company publishes crossed genres of creative fiction, narrative, and nonfiction that showcase experimental forms of strong storytelling.
Black Balloon will announce a winner on Monday, February 2, 2015.**
- Fiction manuscripts only, please (novels or short story collections)
- Manuscripts must be complete, unpublished and original. Prior print or digital publication of individual stories from an unpublished collection is acceptable; please ensure your submission acknowledges all outlets in which individual stories have been previously published (if a work is discovered to have been posted or published elsewhere—and not openly acknowledged by the author in advance—we will remove the manuscript from consideration).
- Self-published novels and story collections are ineligible, including work that has been published digitally.
- Manuscripts must be over 50,000 words in length
- International English-language submissions are welcome
- Submissions must be received between October 1st and October 31st, 2014
DEADLINE: October 31, 2014
Use the link below to submit (scroll to the bottom of the page).