The Mark Twain House & Museum’s Inaugural “Royal Nonesuch” Humor Writing Contest for writers of all ages from all corners of the globe!
Recognizing that Samuel Clemens (aka: Mark Twain) began writing at an early age and to encourage other young authors, we welcome submissions for two categories:
- Adult (age 18 and over at time of submission) at $22 per submission, and
- Young Author (age 17 and under at time of submission) at $12 per submission.
Celebrity Judges for Adults are: Roy Blount, Jr., Colin McEnroe, and Lucy Ferris.
Celebrity Judges for Young Authors are: Tim Federle, author of Better Nate Than Ever, and Jessica Lawson, author of The Actual & Truthful Adventures of Becky Thatcher.
Submit your original humorous essays and stories for a chance at a cash prize, the opportunity to meet bestselling authors at our annual “Mark My Words” event, and best of all – bragging rights!
“If Mark Twain were alive, he’d be happy about this contest, because he’d win it.” – Andy Borowitz
DEADLINE: June 30, 2014
FEE: $22.00 “Adult/18 and over” categories
FEE: $12.00 “Young Author/17 and under”
• Submissions are not required to be in the style of Mark Twain or about Mark Twain. We want to hear your voice. And we want you to make us laugh!
• Submissions will be judged by our award-winning Mark Twain House staff writers and scholars, Trinity College faculty, and celebrity judges: Roy Blount, Jr., Colin McEnroe, and Lucy Ferris. Celebrity judges for the 17 & under contest are Tim Federle and Jessica Lawson.
• Submissions are due by June 30th, 2014.
• Winners may be asked to provide age verification regarding submission category.
• You may submit more than one entry; a separate fee is required for each entry.
• Winners will be notified by September 5, 2014.
• Winners will be presented to the public at the 4th Annual “Mark My Words” event at which bestselling authors appear onstage October 21, 2014 to benefit The Mark Twain House & Museum. (Past authors have included John Grisham, David Baldacci, and Sandra Brown.)
• Winners will retain ownership of their work. The Mark Twain House & Museum reserves the right to publish winning pieces in a public forum with credit to the author.
PRIZES (winners in both categories):
• 1st Prize: $1,000 (Adult & Young Author)
• 2nd Prize: $500 (Adult& Young Author)
• 3rd Prize: $250 (Adult& Young Author)
• Three Honorable Mention Prizes: $100 Gift Certificate for the Mark Twain Museum Store (Adult & Young Author).
• All 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Prize winners in both the “Young Author/17 and under” and “Adult/18 and over” categories will be invited to attend “Mark My Words” and go backstage to meet bestselling authors. (Winners are responsible for their travel and accommodations.)
• Staff and immediate family members of the Mark Twain House are not eligible.
The mission of The Mark Twain House & Museum is to foster an appreciation of the legacy of Mark Twain as one of our nation’s defining cultural figures, and to demonstrate the continuing relevance of his work, life and times. The Mark Twain House & Museum operates as a non-profit 501(c)(3) foundation. Mark Twain built the house in 1874 and lived here with his wife and children until 1891. This is where he wrote such masterpieces as The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and is located at 351 Farmington Avenue in Hartford, CT. We appreciate your participation in this inaugural writing contest as it supports our preservation efforts.
By clicking ‘Submit’ you acknowledge that this is your original work and you agree to all contest rules and guidelines.
Here is the link to submit: https://twainhouse.submittable.com/submit/26632