This may be just the contest for some picture book writers out there. You are used to writing a story that is short and may even have a dog in your story. Just make sure it isn’t a talking dog. Since they are looking for a short story of no more than 2000 words, you now have a chance to fill in those sentences you expected an illustrator to tell. I’ve heard so many picture book writers say they’d love to be able to submit more words with their story, so here is the chance. Plus, it doesn’t cost anything to enter.
DEADLINE: ENTRIES MUST BE POSTMARKED BY JANUARY 31, 2014
1. The contest is open to anyone except employees of the American Kennel Club and their immediate families.
2. Entries must be original, unpublished stories that have not been offered to or accepted by any other publisher. Only one entry per author.
3. The American Kennel Club retains the right to publish the three prize-winning entries in AKC FAMILY DOG, or other AKC publications.
4. Entries may feature either a purebred or mixed breed dog. The maximum length is 2,000 words. Entries exceeding that length will not be considered. No talking dogs, please.
5. Entries must be printed on 8 1⁄2″ x 11″ white paper, one side per page, double-spaced. Poor-quality or faded copies cannot be considered.
6. The author’s name, address, and phone number must appear on the first page. The author’s name and the page number must appear on each successive page.
7. AKC Publications cannot acknowledge receipt of manuscripts and assumes no responsibility for any entry under any circumstances. Entries will not be returned. No phone calls, please.
8. All acceptable entries will be read by a panel of judges selected by AKC Publications. They will choose the winners based on the style, content, originality, and appeal of the story. All decisions are final. Winners will be announced in an issue AKC FAMILY DOG in 2014.
Send entries to:
AKC Publications Fiction Contest
The American Kennel Club
260 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10016