The above illustration was sent in by Barbara DiLorenzo. She is a graduate of RISD and was featured on Illustrator Saturday on April 14th, 2012. Click Here to View.
Scribe Publishing Company’s Inaugural Short Fiction Contest
The winning fiction will be 500 words or less, captivating, of any genre of fiction (no poetry), and begin with the word, “First.” (After all, this is a first for us, and firsts can be pretty monumental.)
Entries accepted until Oct. 31, 2013. Check out the rules and learn how to submit below.
1st Prize $500 2nd Prize $100 3rd Prize $50
The first-, second- and third-prize winner’s stories will be archived on Scribe Publishing Company’s blog (credited to the winners).
- Open to all writers, previously published or not
- Limited to 1,000 entries
- Submit original, unpublished work of short fiction, written in the English language
- Writer retains rights to work, whether the piece is selected as a winner or not
- Keep within the 500-word limit
- Use the word “First” as the first word of your story
- All genres welcome
- Please edit and proof your entry
- Use 12 pt, double spaced Arial, Times New Roman or Courier
- Submit entry and payment by 11:59 pm October 31, 2013 (see detailed info below on how to submit entry and payment. Entries for which payment is not received by deadline will be excluded from contest.)
- If 1,000 entries are reached before 11:59 pm October 31, 2013, Scribe Publishing Company will announce on its site that the contest has reached maximum capacity, and the contest will be closed. Judging will proceed as scheduled.
- Multiple entries are permitted; treat each entry separately and each requires entry fee of $10.
- All decisions are final and will be announced Monday, December 23, 2013 at scribe-publishing.com/news; award checks will be mailed that day.
- Open to legal residents of the fifty states and D.C., age 18 or over. Void where prohibited.
To enter: follow these five steps.
1. Finalize your piece, then submit payment of $10 first. Two options to pay:
- If you’re paying by credit card through PayPal (you do not need a PayPal account to do so):
- Enter the title of your story and click the “Buy Now” icon directly below this bullet. (Make note of the receipt number PayPal assigns to include in your entry email and in the header of your word document. You will receive your receipt number after you enter your details and click “pay now” on the second screen. The confirmation page will say, “Your receipt number for this payment is:…”)
- PAY WITH CREDIT CARD HERE:
Title of submission
- If you’re paying by check (payable to: Scribe Consulting LLC, 29488 Woodward Ave, Suite 426, Royal Oak, Michigan 48073)
- Write your story title in the memo line of your check
- Make note of your check number to include in your entry email and in the header of your word document
- If the check is returned, your entry is void
- Do not mail us a hard copy of your story – email it per the directions below
2. Save your story in a Word document
- Does it start with the word, “First”? (see rules)
- Name the file the title of your story, and include the title in the Word document as well
- In the header, include your PayPal receipt number or check number
- Please DO NOT include your name or any personal information in your Word document – we want the judging to remain anonymous
3. Attach your Word document in an email to: email@example.com
- Use the title of your story as the email subject line
- Include your first and last name and contact information (including mailing address, in case you win) in the body of your email. Your information will not be sold or used for any communication, except to send an award should you be selected as a contest winner.
- Include your PayPal receipt number or check number in the body of the email
4. Tell your friends
5. Check scribe-publishing.com/news on Monday, December 23